Sunday 5 April 2020

We need action on home deliveries now!!

I am shielding. I've been told I have to stay in my home and have no contact with people for at least 12 weeks as its too dangerous for me to be exposed to Covid 19. That by itself is a lot to deal with but its being made much worse by the fact I can't get shopping. Like many with disabilities and chronic illnesses I have relied on online shopping for years because my health makes it extremely hard to do a supermarket shop. I was fairly lucky that I managed to get a delivery booked for next week before the slots filled up completely but I've had 3 weeks between deliveries. I've managed thanks to a friend getting stuff for me and stretching what I had in my cupboards. But its not been easy.

Like I said I am lucky. Many people in my position are still having to go out, or having to rely on food parcels, because they can't get deliveries. I've stayed up until 1am to try to get another delivery booked in a couple of weeks time. There is nothing!! No delivery slots and no priority system to ensure the deliveries are going to people who can not go out. When we had pictures of little old ladies in front of empty shelves there was a campaign and supermarkets had slots for vulnerable customers in days. I don't know what picture I can put here that would make people realise we now need them to do the same for home deliveries. At the moment it feels like we are out of sight out of mind.

Don't get me wrong I am very grateful to the volunteers and the local businesses that have stepped up to try to fill the gap. These were a desperately needed emergency step to give supermarkets time to act but not a long term solution. But there are 1.5 million people who are shielding and a lot more who need online delivery for other reasons. Its too many people for volunteers to be supporting us all. With all the supermarkets doing their bit most of these people could help themselves and free up volunteers to look after the most vulnerable. Please help us by putting pressure on the government and supermarkets to act quickly to get this sorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment