Thursday 26 March 2020

life between 4 walls

So once again trying to revive this blog. Earlier this week I received the news that I was in the group at extreme risk if I caught covid 19. I had already been in self quarantine as I had a suspect chest infection. Thankfully it turned out to be just a cold but 3 weeks later my chest still hasn't recovered from that simple infection. I'd then followed the social distancing guidelines as I knew how much risk this virus was for me.

So it wasn't a total shock for me. For some people this has come as one hell of a shock. They are the people who despite their health problems were until Monday living a normal healthy life and have now been told that they can not leave their homes and have contact with others for 12 weeks. Some have had to try to isolate themselves from family who have to carry on going out and putting themselves at risk. Others are caring for loved ones who are totally dependent on them.

I realise I am lucky I have a nice house with a small yard. I'm not stuck in a pokey flat with no outside space. I am safe. Home is a good place for me. I have the technical know how to keep in touch with the world. I'm not dependent on people calling on me like many elderly people are. I have friends and neighbours who are looking out for me and helping with the deliveries I need. I have two cats who are helping keep me in a routine and giving me lots of affection. I have an employer who reassured us from the start that our jobs were safe even if they may need to change.

But still feel like I am having an emotional roller-coaster. Sometimes I'm hopeful and can focus on these positive things in my life. Others it all gets too much. I'm trying to follow this guidance to keep my brain in one piece.

https://www.actionforhappiness.org/news/how-to-keep-mentally-healthy-during-uncertain-times

I started playing guitar when I was ill last year and that is proving to be a great outlet. I have started some Facebook groups to keep in touch with friends. I am doing what I can. Hopefully tomorrow I will feel brighter tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment